This season is going to be BIG. With the New Pleney lift open and fresh tracks all over the place, 2014 is set to be a wild year in Morzine.
The Summer 2014 MTB season has just kicked of in Morzine and the full Portes Du Soleil area is now open providing access to all the resorts including Chatel, Morgins, Les Gets, Champery and many more. The opening of the fullPortes Du Soleil area was celebrated with the huge alpine event called the Pass'Portes du Soleil. This event covers 3 days and bring over 6000 mountain bikers to the area, this years host town was Les Gets and they put on a great event, from the riders to the kids there was some thing for everyone.
This was the 11th edition of the Pass'Portes du Soleil MTB and was held on the 27th, 28th and 29th june 2014 !
What is the Pass'Portes du Soleil exactly,
- The MTB Pass'Portes du Soleil is a mountain trek ranging from 1000 to 2250m in altitude, in both France and Switzerland, where you can discover the fabulous Portes du Soleil MTB terrain and its grandiose scenery.
- The 80 km circuit uses 15 lifts. Different variations are organised for mountain bikers wishing to cycle up hill. The trek takes one day, and participants can choose whether to ride it on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
Some action from the Pass'Portes - Photo - Pinkbike
However before the Pass'Portes du Soleil came to Les Gets on the 27th of June there had been a lot of new developments going on in prepairation for the summer 2014 mountain bike season here in the Portes Du Soleil and Morzine espically.
So here are just a few things that have changed from last year
- A new gondola lift on the Pleney in Morzine, this new lift is amazing
- A new/rebuilt main line on the Pleney developing the very old Pleney main line
- A new Green family trail providing a great training ground
- A fully rebuilt Black trail on Mt Chery called Dans Le Gas
- A brand new double black trail on Mt Chery called the Gets Airline
- A brand new Blue line with so many jumps and berms
- A new pump track in the centre of town
- New lifts open to provided easy access to other areas
- New trails to provide easier access
There have also been many more developements over in Chatel and Morgins with new trails, old trails being given a facelift and new facilities on the hill including bike washes that are free when you swipe your lift pass which is a really good feature for paying riders.
Its looks like Morzine is finally putting some money back into the summer bike scene and its has been a great start to the season so far. It has been a slightly wet start to the season but the trails have held up well so far. With the start of July just around the corner the town is stating to get busy and all the shops, restaurants and bars are now open.
The New Pleney lift and Les Gets have been open since that 15th of June, so many people have been on holiday enjoying the fresh trails before all the crowds arrive in July and August, Its a great time of year to visit to avoid any lift queues and the mid summer heat.
We hope to see you out here very soon.